18 March 2013

Time For A Smaller Project

My last post was in draft form over the weekend.  Oops.  I do tend to forget about things if I don't do them right away.  Well, two posts in one day is some kind of record for me. :)  On to this weekend's business. 


This weekend, I decided I needed to finish something . . . anything . . . just one thing needs to be done.  I needed to feel like I accomplished something.  I am way behind in my plan to actually stitch all of my stash before I die at the age of 100.  Now I have to live to be 102.  I knew it wouldn't be Slava as I have many, many, many hours to go on it, so I perused my stash of in-progress pieces and found this Texas Post Card by Denise DeRusha.   The stitch guide was done by John Waddell.  I had a blast getting this one done.  When I picked it up yesterday, I had already stitched the longhorn, TEXAS, horseshoes, date and top brick colored border.  I did the rest while sitting with my husband in front of the TV on Saturday afternoon and Sunday.  Golf is the greatest game in the world.  I enjoy watching, playing, and stitching to it!  What more could a girl ask for.  It's easy to keep up with all the players and still enjoy stitching even more complicated designs.  I did make an "artist's discretion" move on the border at the top.  I stitched it differently from the stitch guide (oh my goodness!!) and since it was done so long ago, I have no idea if it was intentional or not.  Oh well, it makes mine quite unique, right?  I'll hang it up high, no one will even notice, unless you're reading this, of course. 

I also made some progress on Slava.  I "finished" two of the design areas (actually, finished one, still have the beads on one of the areas), but I still seem to have more spaghetti than I know what to do with!!  I'll start focusing again on this, but I still feel the need to have a small project going.




As for the next small project, I did pick up my bag with the Melissa Shirley Snow Kids canvases for which my friend, Jane Austen' mom, Carolyn Baird,  prepared stitch guides.  By the way, Jane Austen is the most precious Cavalier King Charles Spaniel pup in the world!  Back to stitching.  It's hard to believe, but I'm only on #6 in the series after I don't know how many years!  I'll have to make a note of the copyright tonight.  I did notice on my completed projects chart that I completed the first one in March 2007, so the series most likely started in January 2007.  6 years and 6 done, hmmmm.  I'm not making good progress.  Of course, I finished 104 projects (including those first 5 Victorian Snow kids) since January 1, 2007 and today, so I can't be too hard on myself.  It's just my stitching ADHD*.   On number 6, I only put in a cap and outlined a coat flap, but at least it's a start.  I did finish two canvases and worked on Slava before I picked up this little guy, so all in all it was a successful stitching weekend.

I didn't stitch stitch a lick on Friday because I was busy with "weekly duties" watching my grandson.  Some of you know, I married a ready-made family.  My husband had two sons before we married, and they were 6 and 10 when we tied the knot.  They are now grown and on their own.  The youngest is actually a dad now, and we have the honor of having Friday nights with our grandbaby.  It's awesome.  And what's really neat is that I'm getting to experience all that I missed on a much smaller time scale.  We live very close to the other grandparents, just a couple of fences and a greenbelt separate us, so we are getting lots of visiting time in, which is such a blessing. 

Friday, we decided it was time to have him help Mimi out.  He is learning how to feed himself with a spoon.  This must be something he's already learning to do at his house, but he's never grabbing at the spoon at our house. So Friday, I handed him his spoon, and here's what he did.  He knew right what to do, so Mimi's job is getting a little easier and Big Daddy's job of cleaning up is getting a little busier.  It's about time the tide changed a bit.  My sweet little baby boy is growing up.  Sniff, sniff. :)  I did think it was funny when he picked up the corn with his fingers, put it on the spoon, picked up another kernel and stuck both his hand and spoon in his mouth.  Silly moments that no one else would smile over . . . I just love it.

I must remember to get him a burnt orange polo.  He keeps coming over in these maroon things that just make me shudder (we don't cover those colors with a bib as you can see - let the food fall where it may).  Longhorns baby!! Index and pinkie fingers to the sky (all others folded in to palm)!!  It's okay, we've got some time to work on it.  We'll just add it to the list, but before you start First Tee, we really must have it down pat! 




Happy Stitching, everyone!!

*Stitching ADHD = The disease that is exacerbated by having too many canvases started and wanting to stitch on ALL of them at the same time, so you stitch some on this one, some on that one, some on another, come back to the second one, jump to another one, etc.  The severity of this disease is measured by the ratio of frenzy and frequency by which you change projects.  I am in no way making fun of people who have ADD or ADHD or Stitching ADD or Stitching ADHD.  This is a serious condition and it is more prevalant in me when I'm doing something I really enjoy.  I will say, the more difficult the project and the quieter the room, the more able I am to focus on one thing - so classes are great for me. - But this is a whole other subject best saved for another day.


No comments:

Post a Comment